Family of Five!

Family of Five!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ping Pong Time!

We went to the orphanage early today. Our translator had to speak to the director about our court date. We were able to visit with Eryna for 2 hours. Her school has ping pong tables but they only have supplies for the older children. The older children actually compete all over and have many champions from playing ping pong. I will take a picture next time of all the trophies they have won.  Shawn and I had found a set of paddles and balls in the city yesterday so we bought them to teach Eryna how to play. She enjoyed it a lot. Of course she is already my child and is stubborn and thinks she does not need any help to learn new things! We laugh when she does this because it reminds me so much of myself. We had our first little tantrum from her today. While outside playing, Eryna wanted Shawn to put her on his shoulders and since he has not been feeling well, we told her not today. She continued to beg and we continued to say no. Well she was not happy with the answer and started to cry. It broke my heart but at the same time I knew we were doing the right thing because she is going to have to learn that we can’t always say yes. Her caregiver told us today that she has not been wanting to help like normal and will tell the other kids that she does not have to do anything because she has parents now! Wow…I right away turned to her and said “Eryna, you are right, you have parents now but you are still expected to help and follow directions from adults.” I didn’t even hesitate and our translator said right away….you are ready to be her mom. I said I was ready before we even met her! She will have a wake-up call when we get home and she realizes that it’s the same at home, we are a family and we all help out!
After the orphanage, we went to a church that is near the hotel we have been staying at. Karen, from Kiev, knows a family here in Slavansk that has offered for us to stay at their church where they have a room that’s like a hotel room. We went and looked at it and it is perfect! It has 3 single beds (yay….I get my own bed J) a mini fridge and a bathroom! That is all we need. Everyone was so nice and they even have a pastor who speaks English. The church was beautiful and has really nice landscaping. They only charge $6 a day to stay there. What a blessing to us and what I am so excited about is that we are going to help do things around the church. Our days seem to go by so slow because of there not being much to do. I am ready to be put to work! On Friday and Sunday they have services so that will be a wonderful addition as well. They aren’t in English but it doesn’t matter to me, it will be a wonderful experience. Below are the pictures from today of Eryna playing ping pong for the first time!



This is my favorite picture of Eryna. She was hiding from us
so she could blow bubbles on us without us knowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment